CNC Insurance Brokerage Services Blog

All You Ever Wanted to Know About Insurance

Stay Safe from the Quiet Killer: Carbon Monoxide

Unfortunately, hundreds of Americans die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning. It can happen anytime, anywhere as a result of carelessness or accidents. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is a byproduct of many gas or fuel burning appliances used commonly in homes and yards. Keep you and your family safe by following these simple tips!

Yearly maintenance
Every year, make sure a professional comes to your home to check all your gas pipes, water heaters, heaters, stoves, and so on. Leaks that spring from neglected appliances is one of the leading reasons people die from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Install a detector
Make sure that your home has a functioning carbon monoxide detector. Check the batteries every few months and make sure it is working properly. If it ever goes off, leave your home immediately and call for help. Don’t take any chances.

Open spaces
Never let your car or lawn mower run idle in the garage or near an open window. Emissions trapped in enclosed spaces can quickly lead to major problems. This means you should also never bring in gas running generators, portable gas stoves, or charcoal stoves into your home. Also remember to clean out your chimney so no gases that should be escaping up and out get trapped inside.

Know the signs
Finally, be aware of the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. You will experience light-headedness, nausea, headache, fatigue, mental confusion, and similar symptoms.
Follow these simple tips and stay safe from the quiet killer!

Discussion

There are no comments yet.


Leave a Comment

Required fields are marked with

Comment

Your name, comment, and URL will appear on this page after it has been reviewed and approved. Your email address will not be published.