In light of the recent Hurricane, building owners and property managers throughout the Northeast may feel a little overwhelmed with the daunting task of cleaning up. The storm caused devastating damage to many buildings and if you find yourself wondering where to even begin with your clean up, these tips may help you…
- Before making any changes to the building, document the damage and submit your documentation to your insurance carrier. Take as many pictures as you need to ensure that you have documented the damage well.
- Have the property assessed properly to ensure that all damages are accounted for.
- Hire a professional to perform a complete evaluation of the HVAC system’s performance.
- Obtain bids from professionals for the necessary repairs and work closely with engineers or industry experts to ensure that everything is being repaired up to code.
- Don’t forget about your residents! Keep them informed throughout all processes.
- Just because something looks clean does not mean that it is sanitary. Disinfect anything and everything that could be contaminated.
- Make sure everything goes through a final inspection once clean-up has taken place.
Getting everything back in order after a storm is not easy. Dealing with the emotional and physical repercussions of a storm can be strenuous and draining. Before you start to rebuild and clean up, make a plan for yourself. This way, the tasks may seem less daunting and you will have some sense of accomplishment as you work towards your goals.
You can also see more information about home insurance on our blog.